Hello. If you’ve landed on this page then I can only guess you want to learn a little bit more about me, Tim Wingfield.
I live in the greater Columbus metropolitan area in the suburb of Hilliard with my wife Wendy, and our two boys Brendan (2017 NHL draft eligible) and Alex (2020 NHL draft eligible). I’ve been a resident of central Ohio my whole life growing up on a farm about 50 miles north of Columbus, and have lived in and around Columbus for the last 20 years or so.
Professionally I am an independent software craftsman and agile coach. My software background is somewhat varied, but have spent most of my time in the web development space. I grew up on the Microsoft stack, learning ASP and moving to .Net as it grew. Lately I’ve spent a lot of time learning Ruby and all the goodies it brings to web frameworks and testing. I’m a practitioner of agile and lean, and I also speak publicly on many things software.
In my spare time I feed my hockey addiction. I coach both the boys’ teams and enjoy that time a great deal. (Not to mention the primer 8 year old hockey players can give you for handling a team of software developers.) I also play a little hockey myself, and as if I needed a little more hockey in my life, we have season tickets to the Blue Jackets. Being the Blue Jackets, they don’t occupy much of my time after the first week of April, though.
As a family we enjoy traveling quite a bit. Our usual destination is Walt Disney World. We’ll make a visit or two there per year, which might mean we have a problem, but we won’t admit it. Beyond the Mouse, we’ve seen Alaska, the Gulf Coast of Florida, the Outer Banks, Wisconsin, and various Midwestern cities...usually for hockey tournaments.
Other Random Tidbits...
- Wendy and I were introduced by our respective best friends, who were dating each other. We got engaged the day they broke up. Ironical.
- I have a younger brother, Kevin. He has a lovely wife Kate, a daughter Lauren, and a son Charlie.
- My mother, Brenda, is an ordained minister in the Methodist Church.
- My father, Charlie, beat cancer in 2005 and is the reason I wear the yellow LIVESTRONG bracelet.
- I’ve had a Z-28 and a mullet, but not at the same time.
- I restored a Farmall C and a John Deere 4010 when I was in high school.
- Wendy and I were married on July 16, 1994 - the 49th anniversary of the first detonation of an atomic device. Coincidence?
- I managed to finish the 2010 Columbus Half Marathon. (I only finished about an hour behind the winner of the WHOLE marathon.)
- I have been to every Codemash ever held.
- I didn’t start playing hockey until I was 31.
- My major at Ohio State was Agricultural Economics.
- My major at Franklin University was Computer Science.
- I have managed to not graduate from either of the aforementioned schools.
- I did graduate from high school. North Union High School in Richwood, OH, class of ’89. Let’s go Cats!
- I got a speeding ticket 6 days after I got my drivers license. My license was suspended 2 weeks later. My dad was less than pleased.
- I have seen every Little Brown Jug since 1990.
- I have visited 37 of the 50 states. (Still need to visit RI, CT, NJ, DE, WA, ID, CA, HI, ND, MT, AR, OR, OK.)
- My first “National” speaking engagement was at the Lean Software Systems Consortium in the spring of 2010.